This guide covers all information you’re looking for about laser chiller.
Whether you want to know the parts, working principle, specifications, safety or benefits of laser chillers, you will find everything right here.
So, if you want to be an expert in laser chillers, read this guide.
- What is Laser Chiller?
- What are the Functions of Laser Chiller?
- Which Laser Machines can you Integrate with Laser Chiller?
- What are the uses of Laser Chiller?
- Why do Laser Chillers use Water Cooling System?
- What are the Components of Laser Chiller?
- How does a Laser Chiller Work?
- What is the Cooling Capacity of Laser Chiller?
- Is there Laser Chiller Temperature Range for Optimal Operation?
- What Causes Failure in CO2 Laser Water Cooling System?
- How do you Choose Best Laser Chiller Coolant?
- What are the Limitations of Laser Chiller?
- What are the Features of Laser Chillers?
- How many Types of Laser Chillers are there?
- How do you Install Laser Chiller?
- How do you Maintain Laser Chiller?
- What are the Safety Features of Laser Chiller?
- What are the Benefits of Laser Chiller?
- How much does Laser Chiller Cost?
- How do you Size a Suitable Laser Chiller for your Laser Machine?
- Does Laser Chillers have Warranty?
- Are Laser Chillers Durable?
- Are Laser Chiller Eco-friendly?
- What are the Ratios Between Power Rating vs. Laser Chiller Size?
- Are there Portable Laser Chillers?
- What are the New Technologies in Laser Chiller Systems?
- Which are the Critical Laser Chiller Specifications?
What is Laser Chiller?
Laser chiller is a machine used to cool laser machines.
It is specifically designated in such a way that it cools the manufacturing process.
This in hand reduces the overheating of the machines while performing their various functions like welding and cutting.
What are the Functions of Laser Chiller?
From the above definition, a laser chiller serves the purpose of cooling a laser machine.
They are used on the following types of laser machines:
- UV lasers.
- CO2 laserglass tube.
- CO2 RF tube laser.
- Fiber laserof cutting, marking, and engraving machines.
It is important to choose a suitable laser chiller depending on the laser machine you are using.
Also it should be able to efficiently meet your needs.
So size will definitely be a factor to put under consideration.
Which Laser Machines can you Integrate with Laser Chiller?
Some of the most popular laser machines include;
Tip of laser machine
Lasers based on YAG (yttrium aluminium garnet)
This type uses a mixture of gas as a medium.
It is also called a carbon dioxide laser. It is used for material processing used in the cutting and welding business.
This is because the CO2 laser can be used on parts with a larger thickness.
Hence are highly used in welding and cutting.
Lower power level lasers are used for engraving.
It is also used in the additive manufacturing process of Selective laser sintering
These are types of lasers with fiber in use as the gain medium.
The laser resonator can also be made of fiber.
What are the uses of Laser Chiller?
A laser chiller has a wide range of uses on various fields.
Below are a few uses of a laser chiller;
Most lasers are used in the industrial fields and also in the medical field.
As earlier outlined laser chillers are quitter active in the industries and hospitals.
In the manufacturing industry, they are used for cutting.
The laser chiller majorly ensures the heat being produced is minimal.
Hence, in other words, they bring about efficiency in the cutting process.
Perforating: Lasers come in handy in making perforations for fruit packages.
It is important for the lasers to maintain optimum temperature as these packages are made of plastic.
Any instance of overheating might alter the size of the bags.
Other more uses of a laser chiller include:
Use as a Machine Tool
- Filtration, Grinding Equipment
- Heat Treating or Induction Heating Equipment
- Waterjet Equipment
- Welding Equipment
- Process Cooling
- Chemical Processing
- Electronics-Broadcast and Cell Towers, Telecommunication, Data Center
- Plastic-Blow Molding, Extruding, Injection Molding, Thermal Forming
- Power Generation-Biofuel, Fuel Cells, Oil and Gas, Solar, Turbines
- Printing Equipment
As a Laser
- Laser Equipment
- Medical Imaging
- Cyclotron System
- Medical Imaging Equipment
- Patient Cooling Systems
- Milking Equipment, Milk Storage Equipment & Dairy Equipment
- Bakery, Food Retail, Doughnuts, Pizza
- Brewery, Winery, and Distillery
- Beer, Wine, Spirits
- Food Processing and Packaging
- Food Processing Equipment, High Pressure Processing Equipment
- Packaging, Material Handling for Food Production
For Extraction Purposes
Surprisingly, laser chillers are able to extract the famous cannabis.
Why do Laser Chillers use Water Cooling System?
The main reason narrows down to the chemical and physical structure of water.
Water has a higher boiling point as well as high specific heat.
Hence this makes water a perfect coolant for the laser machines which are known to accumulate a lot of heat.
The water absorbs the heat quite efficiently.
What are the Components of Laser Chiller?
There are three major components that make up a laser chiller:
- A temperature controller.
- Coolant pump.
- Heat-exchange system.
To obtain a temperature controller that matches up your laser machine, it is important to check the specifications.
One can usually work from manufacturer specifications, such as 20C ۫C, for a particular laser.
Here is a list of available temperature-control technologies;
- A bimetallic on/off thermostat.
- An analog controller.
- The microprocessor proportional-integral-derivative (PID) controller.
The second major component is the coolant pump.
The recirculating chillers are available with several pumping configurations.
One of these, is a centrifugal pump which is able to provide excellent flow characteristics at low pressures.
This pump is ideal for lasers that need a moderate flow rate and do not require high-pressure coolant flow.
The third major chiller component is the heat-exchange system.
It accounts for one of the most important components in a laser chiller especially its heat-removal structure.
How does a Laser Chiller Work?
Standard laser water chillers possess a refrigeration unit that channels coolant to the process laser tube where heat exchange occurs cooling the laser to optimal temperatures.
The heated cooling fluid is returned via piping to the refrigeration unit.
Where the absorbed heat is eliminated thus regenerating the coolant for a new cycle of heat exchange with the laser device.
What is the Cooling Capacity of Laser Chiller?
Laser chillers come with different cooling capacities.
It can range from 1.5KW to 198KW.
It also depends on the size you wish to purchase for your use.
To determine this, there is a general formula designed to help you arrive to your desired capacity of your chiller;
- First the temperature Differential needs to be calculated (? T°F)? T°F = Incoming Water Temperature (°F) – Required Chill Water Temperature
- Then there is a Calculation of the BTU/hr.; BTU/hr. = Gallons per hr. x 8.33 x? T°F
- Tons of cooling capacity is then determined; Tons = BTU/hr. ÷ 12,000
- Oversize the chiller by 20% Ideal Size in Tons = Tons x 1.2
- The answer you get is the size of your laser chiller machine you need.
Is there Laser Chiller Temperature Range for Optimal Operation?
Yes, there is.
For, most laser chiller to operate and performance to increase, the temperature must be specified.
Also where you choose to station the machine matters.
External temperatures might interfere with its working if not properly placed.
Most industrial CO2 lasers can be safely and efficiently operated within the temperature range of 59 °F to 77 °F.
It is important to confirm the temperature range for your laser chiller for efficient use.
What Causes Failure in CO2 Laser Water Cooling System?
Basically, this type of chiller works on the condition of water being pumped through its tubes.
This is essential in order to ensure that the tubes do not overheat and eventually lose their power.
The water cooling system serves to protect the tubes from such damage and evade the event of a failing water cooling system.
Also in case you mis-install the laser chiller water cooling system, it mostly bound to fail.
So it is important to carefully follow the installation procedures.
How do you Choose Best Laser Chiller Coolant?
Here are six basic steps to consider when choosing the best laser chiller for your purpose.
Define your Heat Load
As you already know, laser chillers come in different sizes.
As a result, it is important to know the size you wish to purchase.
In this article a formula is already highlighted to help you calculate your load size.
Consider the Coolant Type, Flow Rate and Temperature
As much as the load plays a key role, the type of coolant is also essential.
It might be water or oil or even gas.
The temperatures as well are a factor as is the flow rate.
Identify the Installation Environment
This might be either external or internal temperatures.
If the environment might be too internal, there might accumulate higher temperatures or even lower.
Ensure the environment works to facilitate the functioning of the laser chiller.
Check for the Level of Safety
This is majorly determined by the laser chiller curves.
Check the Pumping Structure of the Chiller
The chiller should have a well-functioning pumping system with good pressure for pumping.
Ensure that the electrical system of the chiller works perfectly fine.
If you are not in a position to tell, you can ask your seller to help you confirm.
It is also advisable to understand the controls of the laser chiller you are purchasing.
Once you have checked all the above characteristics and are to your satisfaction, your laser machine is good.
What are the Limitations of Laser Chiller?
The compressor can start to produce deafening noise which affects the stability of the chiller and not to function appropriately.
They are costly, especially with the water cooling system ones.
They are said to be more expensive than the ones with the air cooling system.
However, their long life span service makes them a worthy investment for most customers.
Need for an extra mechanical room to set up the laser chiller.
It is more complicated with the water cooling system ones since they require a tank set up to provide the water.
What are the Features of Laser Chillers?
Some of the main uses include:
- Communication interface.
- High or Low Temperature Alarms this enables the user to use the optimum required temperature.
- Low-Flow Alarms
- Low Coolant-Level Alarms
- Coolant Filters to cool the machines
- Air-Filters are usually available
- Noise Level is usually low
- Ease of Use through the manual provided by the various manufacturers
- Ease of Portability and transportation
How many Types of Laser Chillers are there?
Chillers are differentiated according to these two factors;
- Condenser type
- Mode of operation
For condenser type, we have the following types of chillers
From the name, these type of chillers greatly depend on circulating air to the condenser.
The air fans in the machines help to hasten the process.
Air cooled chiller
These type of chillers depend on an external tower to offer water for cooling purposes.
Water is directed into the condenser to cool the gaseous refrigerator.
Water cooled chiller
Based on the mode of operation, there are two types of chillers:
Vapor Compressor Chillers
They put into use a compressor to pump refrigerant.
It then extracts out any excess heat produced by the machine in use.
Vapor Absorption Chillers
The above mentioned types of chillers majorly work around industries and commercial places.
How do you Install Laser Chiller?
We can deliver laser chiller to your installation site.
It usually comes with a manual or a service contact to help you with the installation big need be.
However, there are basic steps that one needs to follow during installation.
- First of all, it is important to ensure the package is in good condition before attempting to use it. Check for any possible damages
- You need to then add cooling water. This is possible through the water injection port in the laser chiller. Locate it, unscrew and add cooling water.
- There is a water gauge to guide you on the level of water needed in the cooling system tank. Kindly observe the level of required water as you add in the water.
- The laser chiller comes with an outlet pipe and the inlet pipe. Connect them appropriately to enable them carry out their function efficiently.
- Plug in the power cord and turn on the power switch.
- Once the power switch is on, the laser chiller circulation pump commences it’s working.
- Air bubbles are common in first time laser chillers. This should not be a cause for worry. However, the situation will last for a few minutes and afterwards resume normal functioning.
- You are now legible to check for any cases of leakage from the pipes.
- Check in with the temperatures as well. The fan might not work if the temperature of the water does not align with the required temperature.
- The thermostat operation should not be a worry as it has automatic controls.
- The starting process takes a longer time. It may range from seconds to a number of minutes depending on the working conditions.
Be patient enough and avoid switching the machine frequently.
- Once the power is on, the water might drop to fill up the air that was initially in the pipes. It is advisable to check the water levels again once the power is on.
The above procedure helps you in installing a water chiller.
However, all chillers come with a manual and very easy steps of installation.
There is not much involved in the process that you are not able to do.
How do you Maintain Laser Chiller?
The laser chiller machine should be in good condition so as to enable efficient operation while in use.
Hence maintenances practices are to be put in place.
Some of these include÷
- Checking the compressor of the laser chiller regularly. The compressor should always be on good shape as it is the part that connects to all the other parts of the laser chiller.
- The condenser and the evaporator should be cleaned regularly.
- The dust grid should be checked and also cleaned on a regular basis
- Replacing the circulating water so as to remove impurities.
What are the Safety Features of Laser Chiller?
Just like any other machine, the laser chiller comes with a set of safety features. They include;
Steel Frame and Covers
They serve the sole purpose of protecting the chiller from damage.
The steel covers are removable to allow for easier inspection of the interior of the laser chiller.
Apart from being flexible and electricity conservative, they offer the concept of duality.
That is, a dual-circuit evaporator and a dual-circuit condenser.
This enables the heat load to operate despite the temperature variations.
The good news is there are even up to four compressors.
Hot Gas Bypass
With this feature, you can avoid the possible wear of the machine through the on-off short cycling.
It also comes with a more precise temperature control aspect.
From the name, this feature ensures that the evaporators serve their function.
There is the high efficiency evaporator, low-flow evaporator and the space-saving brazed plate evaporator.
Secondary Coolant Loop
Quite an important feature for your laser chiller machine.
It is strategically placed between the evaporator.
It serves to ensure there is no freezing occurring the machine.
This feature is advantageous to machines which use deionized water, oil or thermo-fluid.
Stainless Steel Pump and Tank
The stainless steel provides a corrosion-resistant centrifugal circulating pump.
It comes with a high-efficiency impeller, centerline connections, and mechanical seal.
Brazed Copper Piping
The copper helps prevent corrosion from rust.
The material proves to be quite long-lasting hence guarantees long service for your machine.
These feature incorporates the digital aspect.
The controls for temperatures are indicated in either °C or °F.
The controls include a digital thermostat, high- and low-pressure refrigerant gauges, pump pressure gauge, tank sight tube, and internal refrigerant sight glass.
There is also a remote to help control these features.
The laser chillers encompass a safety package.
It mostly includes high and low refrigerant pressure safety switch, pressure relief device, motor overload protection, line and control circuit fuses, and a pump switch interlock.
All in place to execute safety in your laser chiller.
What are the Benefits of Laser Chiller?
Some of the benefits of laser chillers include:
Reducing thermal stress – Reducing the temperatures during industrial and manufacturing processes works to protect equipment and materials.
Consequently, this increases the laser’s lifespan and reduce the need for maintenance.
Maintaining wavelengths – Excessive heat buildup within a laser increases its wavelength and thus compromises its performance.
Maintaining beam quality – A strong focusing of the laser beam is needed for applications such as cutting, printing, engraving, and drilling.
Any fluctuations in the beam can be both destructive and dangerous.
Maintaining efficiency – A laser has numerous set specifications that enable it to perform accurately.
If it becomes overheated it can become impress and dangerous, making it difficult to use the laser in a stable manner.
How much does Laser Chiller Cost?
There are different prices for the different features a laser chiller may have.
Many laser chillers prices are relatively fair to the use in the various fields that they will perform in.
Many suppliers have their different ranges to give away for the product.
As a result, it is important to consult with your seller on the type and prices.
Also, it is advisable to do a little research to help avoid being coned.
You also might want to consider the quality of laser chiller you are purchasing.
A little window shopping will help as a result.
How do you Size a Suitable Laser Chiller for your Laser Machine?
To size a suitable chiller, we look at the cooling requirements for the laser in particular.
- Type that coolant the laser requires
- Flow rate the laser requires
- The particular coolant temperature required by the laser machines
- Last but not least, the optimum temperature from the laser machine to bring about stability
Does Laser Chillers have Warranty?
Laser chiller system
To provide a better product experience, all the laser chiller systems are under two-year warranty.
However, this warranty period may vary at times.
You should ensure your laser chiller`s heating and cooling systems are working efficiently on arrival.
In case of failure of one, you are legible for a replacement.
However, if the damage is a result of being mishandling during transportation then the warranty won’t cover you.
Moreover, in the event you damage the parts while operating it, the warrant won’t help you replace it.
So when loading or unloading or during installation be careful to not cause any damage.
Any damage cause by the surrounding environment of the machine such as corrosion does not warranty a replacement.
This is possible due to water supplies which is inadequate or putting excess fuels compared to the specified ranges.
Any freezing in the machine as well is not covered in the warranty.
Normal wear and tear of parts of the machines are also not a guarantee in the warranty.
In the event of wear, spare parts are the best solution.
This is for fuses, bands, light bulbs, flow switch, and filters.
The warranty also does not cover any damages resulted by weather conditions.
Are Laser Chillers Durable?
Most chillers are durable and can last for a long period of time when handled in an appropriate manner.
In fact, these machines come with a one-year warranty hence expressing how they can work well for long.
Are Laser Chiller Eco-friendly?
These laser chillers cause low noise and therefore not deafening.
Hence there is no problem of noise pollution.
Most of them don’t pollute the environment.
The parts from the chillers can also be recycled to perform other functions.
In wet surfaces they don’t cause corrosion
What are the Ratios Between Power Rating vs. Laser Chiller Size?
Laser chiller size determines the amount of power to be used for its functioning.
Most laser chiller sizes are expressed in tones.
The power measuring is done in Kilowatts.
These two units’ account for the coefficient of performance of the laser chiller.
Hence the ratios of these two solely depend on the size of the laser chiller size.
Since most laser chillers define the power they use, this aspect can be used to determine the size of the laser chiller.
What you ought to know is, the higher the power rating, the larger the capacity the machine is able to withhold.
Are there Portable Laser Chillers?
There are durable and reliable portable chillers one can opt to acquire.
This includes single zone portable chillers, central chillers and dual zone chillers.
These chillers can either be portable or stationary.
Portable chillers can be used for multiple applications, and be wheeled to each station with convenience.
What are the New Technologies in Laser Chiller Systems?
Communications features for the lasers have been introduced, for example, allow the chiller to be connected to a computer.
Special Interfaces such as the RS-232 allow remote start-up and power-down of the chiller from a computer.
It also allows for remote control of temperatures.
You can now easily monitor and control the temperature set point.
High or low-temperature alarms are set to help prevent damage from the coolant.
The interface enables visual communication to signal the fault.
Which are the Critical Laser Chiller Specifications?
Some of the main classifications are:
Cooling capacity much account for the size of the laser chiller.
Hence it is important to take into accountable one that can efficiently accommodate your load.
Laser chillers work under specified temperatures.
This also according to the load and power in use.
Hence it is best to ensure you obtain a machine that you are able to maintain its temperature range.
The machine should be stable enough to facilitate efficient functioning as well as mounting.
The pumping system should be well laid out.
The tube should be efficient enough to offer enough pressure for pumping purposes.
The bigger the size of the laser chiller, the more energy it will consume due to the more capacity.
If you do not have a large load for use on the laser chiller, a more efficient sizeable laser chiller is highly recommendable.
After all, its weight is also manageable. For the heavy laser chillers, their storage spaces should be able to accommodate the weight.
At TopChiller, we offer high performance and reliable laser chiller systems.
Depending on your specific requirements, TopChiller will design laser chillers according to your unique requirements – contact us now.